Remove this ad

coverdude

Studio Mogul

Lead

Oct 1 12 10:46 AM

Tags : :

So... Seth McFarlane is the host.

I'm not sure what to think about that yet...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

thief

Movie Star

#1 [url]

Oct 1 12 12:16 PM

Meh, I don't know. I've never liked his comedic delivery when he's doing standup or hosting the Comedy Central Roasts. As far as his writing skills go, Family Guy has sunk in quality in the last years, but his work in American Dad is still great.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 1 12 7:19 PM

I f*cking DETEST Seth MacFarlane and all of his creations. Great, an Oscar telecast filled with "edgy" rape and fart jokes and 80's references up the wazoo. I might seriously sit out the telecast next year (or at least DVR it so I can skip all of the host segments). I'd rather have a stoned James Franco back or Billy Crystal doing his lame Bruce Villanch schtick for the umpteenth time.

[b][i]It tastes like[/i] burning...![/b]

Quote    Reply   

coverdude

Studio Mogul

#3 [url]

Oct 1 12 9:53 PM

That was part of my initial impression, too, monty, that it was another awards show trying so hard to be too hip for the room.  McFarlane can certainly be entertaining (in small doses) but even in this day and age, there should be a certain gravitas to a major awards show like that, and I have never seen McFarlane carry that.

I've got to stop fantasizing about Lee Majors

Quote    Reply   

carlo

Production Assistant

#4 [url]

Oct 4 12 10:54 PM

Yeah, I'm not too happy with the McFarlane pick, but basically the Oscars suck, as a telecast, so I'm not sure this makes it any better or worse.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 5 12 6:24 AM

Why the ceremony needs a host, I'll never know...just announce the winners, cut out the lame dance numbers and video segments, and you could EASILLY cut the entire show down to two hours. Have presenters, fine, but a host with his poorly-scripted schtick adds a good half-hour to the total running time.

Quote    Reply   

coverdude

Studio Mogul

#6 [url]

Jan 10 13 7:11 AM

All right.  The nominations are out, and here is a link to them.

Some initial reactions:

-- Beasts of the Southern Wild made a surprisingly strong showing in the major categories, even acing out Kathryn Bigelow from a Best Director nomination
-- Mixed reaction to Zero Dark Thirty and Django Unchained, especially with no directing nom for either one
-- Silver Linings Playbook made the top side of its possibilities
-- Argo made the bottom side of its
-- The Oscars seem to be over Peter Jackson and Middle Earth; The Hobbit pretty much shut out, except for a couple technical nods (this is known as the Star Wars Second Trilogy treatment)
-- Am I the only one who hasn't really heard of more than half the films nominated for best original song?  Have pickings become so slim in recent years, with just two low-profile nominees last year and then this, in the year when they vowed to go back to five nominees?  Where are the great movie ballads of today?  Someone call Peter Cetera... 

-- Finally, I'm a little sad to see probably the best film I have seen this year, Life of Pi, relegated to close-but-no-cigar status.  Oh, well.

I still have to see Silver Linings Playbook, Django Unchained, and Zero Dark Thirty.  Not as spry in staying caught up as I used to be 

Quote    Reply   

roclockck

Studio Mogul

#7 [url]

Jan 10 13 7:18 AM

The 85th Annual Academy Awards

Nominations announced Thursday, January 10, 2013; ceremony on Sunday, February 24, 2013.

Best Motion Picture of the Year

Nominees:

Amour (2012)
Argo (2012)
Life of Pi (2012)
Lincoln (2012)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Best Achievement in Directing

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

Nominees:

Brave (2012)
ParaNorman (2012)

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Nominees:

Amour (2012): Michael Haneke(Austria)
Rebelle (2012): Kim Nguyen(Canada)
No (2012/I): Pablo Larraín(Chile)

Best Achievement in Cinematography

Best Achievement in Costume Design

Best Achievement in Makeup

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song

Nominees:

Chasing Ice (2012): J. Ralph("Before My Time")
Life of Pi (2012): Mychael Danna, Bombay Jayshree("Pi's Lullaby")
Skyfall (2012): Adele, Paul Epworth("Skyfall")
Ted (2012): Walter Murphy, Seth MacFarlane("Everybody Needs a Best Friend")

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing

Nominees:

Argo (2012)
Life of Pi (2012)
Lincoln (2012)
Skyfall (2012)

Best Achievement in Sound Editing

Nominees:

Argo (2012)
Life of Pi (2012)
Skyfall (2012)

Best Achievement in Visual Effects

Best Documentary, Features

Best Documentary, Short Subjects

Nominees:

Inocente (2012)
Kings Point (2012)
Open Heart (2013)
Redemption (2012/V)

"No matter where you go...there you are."

Quote    Reply   

coverdude

Studio Mogul

#9 [url]

Jan 10 13 7:56 AM

I guess I need to be slower on the trigger.  That is NOT the list of song nominees I first read... and it makes more sense now.  Then again, the first BP list I saw included The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, so it pays to let things settle for a few minutes before commenting.

I was wondering how "Skyfall" didn't get nominated, especially with the score nomination and one for cinematography (for the estimable Roger Deakins) as well.

Quote    Reply   

coverdude

Studio Mogul

#10 [url]

Jan 10 13 9:38 AM

Oh, crap, one other big surprise:  absolutely NO nominations for The Dark Knight Rises.  I know that it didn't catch lightning in a bottle like the second film did, but not even a technical nom?  Come on...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jan 10 13 9:51 AM

Yes, that was curious. I was expecting at least a scattering of technical noms (this is the first time that Wally Pfister hasn't been up for Best Cinematography for a Nolan film since Insomnia). Then again, The Dark Knight was a real zeitgeist movie that hit at just the right time. Plus, there's the pesky "midnight screening massacre" thing...

And while it's nice that Best Score is filled with a lineup of actual composers for once (no out-of-left-field bullcrap nominee-turned-winner like Trent Reznor or Gustavo Santolala), it's also kind of a case of same-old, same-old...the obligitory John Williams and Thomas Newman nods for good-but-not-great work, Alexandre Desplat getting a nod for a forgettable score in a year where he did nearly a dozen major films, all with better scores than Argo, and Dario Maranelli getting the Miramax "stuffy period drama" nod. Mychael Danna's Life Of Pi is probably the best of the nominated scores. As usual, my favorites were for poorly-received genre films like Danny Elfman's Dark Shadows (a phenomenal score for a mediocre comedy) and Michael Giacchino's rousing John Carter (which deserved some technical love). And the Silly Putty makeup for Hitchcock getting a nomination? Ugh...

Quote    Reply   

roclockck

Studio Mogul

#14 [url]

Feb 25 13 12:42 AM

4 wins for Pi (Director, Sound Mixing, Cinematography, and VFx) vs. 3 for Argo (Picture, Adapted Screenplay, and Editing). That's a pretty thin win...has there ever been another Best Pic that has done it with only 3 awards? I can't think of one...

Spectacularly dull, dumb show though. Seth McFarlane's hosting was a colossal mistake.   

Quote    Reply   

roclockck

Studio Mogul

#15 [url]

Feb 25 13 1:15 AM

Correction re: Pi...I meant Best Score, not Sound Mixing.

And huzzahs for that well-deserved win...such peer recognition has been a long time coming for Danna. As Howard Shore is to David Cronenberg; Danna is to Atom Egoyan.

Quote    Reply   

coverdude

Studio Mogul

#16 [url]

Feb 25 13 4:31 AM

I wonder if the director's branch regretted not nominating Affleck after he picked up so much steam (and hardware) in the awards season.  I think there was a best picture that was not nominated for any other awards way back in the early years, but the only similar small number of wins I can think of off the top of my head is Rocky (and a similar spread, through switching director for screenplay).

And yes, while McFarlane had some clever moments, there was no need to have him start the show with 20 minutes of skits.  It was not a fit with the feeling of an Academy Awards show (though the AMPAS seemed to be fleeing from the idea that anyone would call these the Academy Awards... rampant "hip" re-branding in progress to try to keep up with the Grammyses).  The "salute to Bond" and "salute to musicals" were pretty much wastes of time (though seeing Shirley Bassey perform was a pleasure).  Plus, that made it so that two nominated songs got performed in big numbers in their entirety on stage, while the other three were shoehorned in with some text on screen and a recording.  Huh?  The only thing that stood in its favor is that the winner was a foregone conclusion.  I don't think the show needs to stop to the hear the entire nominated songs any year, but it just shows how much the adulation for the Grammys influenced the producers.  They really wanted to get those big numbers on stage.  The problem is, the Grammy nominees and audience are filled with people who can perform in a format (pop songs) amenable to the show's format.  Unless you are going to re-film (or at least re-enact) the movies, that is not the case with the Academy Awards---er, Oscars.  They should play to their (different) strengths, one of which should be getting to the awards.  There have been longer telecasts, but few that I can remember that felt so long.  And what were those vestibules that so many winners kept walking out of?

On the plus side, I loved Day-Lewis' acceptance speech.  He probably had good time to plan it, but it was still funny, touching, and well delivered  Great to see Tarantino win another Oscar at last, and Christoph Waltz winning again for a Tarantino film was the one major-category surprise besides Ang Lee.  Good to see them spread around the technical award love.  First tie I can remember seeing in a show I watched.  Day-Lewis makes history by becoming the first man to win three lead-actor Academy Awards-- Oscars! Oscars! Sorry.  Tarantino's tie was just fun to see... and Charlize Theron showed some dance moves and that she could rock a short haricut.  

Quote    Reply   

carlo

Production Assistant

#19 [url]

Mar 3 13 5:41 PM

Oscar does love its beautiful young women.  Be interesting to tabulate how many actors under the age of 40 win Oscars vs. how many actresses over the age of 40 win.  Obviously many do, but I suspect you'll find the number rather skewed nonetheless.

Quote    Reply   

thief

Movie Star

#20 [url]

Mar 4 13 1:32 PM

Oscar does love its beautiful young women.  Be interesting to tabulate how many actors under the age of 40 win Oscars vs. how many actresses over the age of 40 win.  Obviously many do, but I suspect you'll find the number rather skewed nonetheless.

-carlo

You know, when I read your post I was ready to disagree. But upon further inspection, you seem to be quite accurate, at least as far as the last 13 years go.

Going back to 2000, the average age of Best Actors is 44 years vs. that of Best Actresses, which is at 36. However, only 3 of those 13 actresses were over 40 (Mirren, Streep, Bullock), while none of the others were above 35. On the other hand, only 5 of the actors were under 40 at the time of winning (Dujardin, Seymour Hoffman, Foxx, Brody, Crowe), but four of them were almost at 40 (Dujardin was 39, PSH and Foxx were 38).

It would be interesting to do the same analysis through the history of the Oscars to see how the trend has changed, if anything.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help