Thoughts? Problems? Here's the place.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

carlo

Production Assistant

#1 [url]

Jul 12 12 3:39 PM

Yay! I now have the AboutFilmBoards domain back up and a landing page there directing people here.  Won't help those people who bookmarked the actual forum page, but if they find nothing there, perhaps they will think to try www.aboutfilmboards.com.  If so, they'll find us.

That's also a place where you can find the Amazon Associates and PayPal links.  If there is enough support, we may consider upgrading to the premium service.  If not -- well, we're still in the red for the past ten years, so it's still appreciated.

I'd suggest not actually donating using PayPal unless/until we decide to upgrade, but the Amazon Associates support doesn't cost you anything.  I can't post the Associates link here, though, as it would be against the Leflora terms and conditions.

Quote    Reply   

carlo

Production Assistant

#3 [url]

Jul 12 12 3:56 PM

That's my reading of the terms, but I could be wrong.  The terms basically rule out advertising or marketing -- that's reserved to Leflora.  So the Associates link can be construed as advertising/marketing, whereas a PayPal donation button is probably not.  But I would not be comfortable soliciting PayPal donations unless/until we upgrade to a premium service, as I explained in my (recently edited) previous post.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 12 12 4:48 PM

I'm going to disagree. I think you are being too nice, sort of. If the PTB here at Lefora urge/teach folks who run forums to post Paypal donation links then I'd go ahead and post a Paypal donation link. You will likely get more in the way of donations that way versus Amazon. Mine, for example, to pay for the Pro upgrade. My opinion is that you, Carlo, have paid for stuff to keep Aboutfilm.com/boards running for over a decade. I would not feel uncomfortable if I were in your shoes asking for some small amount of financial support even if here and now the forums are free. It's voluntary. No one will accidently donate $10,000 (and if they do, keep it!)

I don't think of Paypal donations as advertising or marketing and apparently Lefora doesn't, either.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

carlo

Production Assistant

#5 [url]

Jul 13 12 1:10 PM

Okay, I'll ask Claudia to do that -- using the same code as is on www.aboutfilmboards.com

I'm still under the impression that an Amazon Associates link is out, which is a shame, because it did generate something.  Perhaps we can just put a link that says: Support the AboutFilm boards here, which links to www.aboutfilmboards.com, and has both links.  But again, I want to be respectful of the Leflora rules.

Claudia what do you think?  We can take this discussion offline if we want.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 14 12 7:47 AM

This is sort of related to what we've been talking about, but CrowdGather, the ultimate owners of Lefora, are in the business of consolidating web communities and offering access to advertisers. No wonder they don;t want any competition from their own forums, like ours. But they will also buy forums from those of us who run them. Check this out:

http://www.crowdgather.com/site/sell-my-forum/

Having been involved in online communities for so long and always finding them to be considered overhead, forgotten backwaters and unprofitable ventures by media companies, this just blows my mind.

Quote    Reply   

carlo

Production Assistant

#8 [url]

Jul 18 12 8:33 PM

AboutFilm.com reviews are in the process of going back up again, if anyone cares.  They're pretty old now!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help