Remove this ad

thief

Movie Star

#361 [url]

Dec 8 13 5:18 PM

Ironically, a couple of days before Paul Walker died, I had gotten ahold of a few films of his I was curious to check. Today I checked the first one: Running Scared, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. A pretty solid action film full of twists and intensity, with a kinetic, fast-paced directing. It gets sorta messy as it progresses, and the ending could've been better, but I still liked it a lot. Grade: B+

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

thief

Movie Star

#363 [url]

Dec 15 13 6:50 PM

Two watches this weekend...

Blackmail Hitchcock's first "talkie" was an interesting watch, despite an odd pace. I mean, it takes almost 40 minutes to show us the lead character (Anny Ondra) going out with his detective boyfriend (John Longden) and then with his artist lover (Cyril Ritchard) who ends up trying to rape her. From there comes the actual blackmail, which only happens during the last 20-25 minutes. It just felt very weird in how things unfolded. But still, I thought Ondra was solid as the lead and so was Donald Calthrop as the blackmailer. If anything, the most interesting thing was seeing Hitchcock come up with more clever tricks on how to shoot scenes. But as far as the film goes, it was okay, but not that great. Grade: C+ or B-

Barry Lyndon I probably should let this one sink in. Like most of Kubrick's films, it takes a detached, cold approach to the story which makes it feel, well, emotionless. Still, Ryan O'Neal was pretty good as the lead, and the direction was impeccable. Every single shot on the film was beautifully done, as if Kubrick was painting a masterpiece. I think this one will probably deserve more thoughts later. As it is now, probably a B or B+

Quote    Reply   

thief

Movie Star

#364 [url]

Dec 26 13 3:47 PM

Two rewatches today...

(500) Days of Summer Caught this on TV for probably the third or fourth time. I just love this film. It has turned into one of my Top 3 romantic comedies ever. A very honest and down-to-earth portrayal of how relationships develop and unfold. Grade: A

The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog I wanted to rewatch this, Hitchcock's first silent film, after seeing it for the first time a couple of years ago. I remember not being that fond of the film the first time, but the rewatch ended up being quite effective and I really enjoyed it more. The acting isn't excellent, and I still think the very last bit with the lynch mob wasn't that well executed, but still, Hitchcock shows why he was the Master of Suspense even in his 20's. Grade: B-

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

thief

Movie Star

#365 [url]

Dec 27 13 6:50 AM

Snuck in another watch last night...

Mud A very engaging and well-acted film. For all the talk about McCounaghey, who was indeed great, I was more impressed by the two kids. They played their roles so naturally and played so well off each other. I liked this a lot. It isn't a spectacular film or a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it a lot. Grade: Probably a high B+

Quote    Reply   

thief

Movie Star

#366 [url]

Dec 27 13 8:15 PM

The Lone Ranger In the words of Quentin Tarantino: "What, that’s the film that everybody says is crap? Seriously?". Despite all its faults, I thought the film still was a fun and entertaining romp. Maybe somewhat overlong, maybe unsure of its tone, but I still enjoyed it. Grade: B, maybe even a B+

Quote    Reply   

thief

Movie Star

#367 [url]

Dec 28 13 7:03 AM

With the risk of sounding like a sourpuss, I have to say I rewatched Airplane! last night after several years, and I was surprised by how less funny it seemed compared to how I remembered it to be. I mean, I laughed but it was not even close to how hilarious I remembered it to be. The best parts are the ones with the veteran actors, Leslie Nielsen, Robert Stack, Peter Graves, and Lloyd Bridges. Oh, and Johnny! But a lot of the physical comedy fell flat this time. Grade: B

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help