Remove this ad

carlo

Production Assistant

#61 [url]

Jul 17 13 12:55 PM

A word in memory of GLEE's Cory Monteith.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

roclockck

Studio Mogul

#65 [url]

Aug 17 13 11:42 AM

Since my last visit, actor Michael Ansara has passed. 

Most know him as Klingon Kang in the "Day of the Dove" episode of the original Star Trek series:

I also remember him with his lovely off-screen wife Barbara Eden in the Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea movie:

...plus the 50s Broken Arrow TV series, and many other silver age movies and shows.

R. I. P. Michael.

"No matter where you go...there you are."

Quote    Reply   

carlo

Production Assistant

#68 [url]

Feb 4 14 12:25 PM

Yes, this was just TERRIBLE news. So, so sad. Even more sad that he was clean for something like 20 years before relapsing in 2012.  I'm curious what happened there, but I also don't like to be the guy staring at the car accident.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#72 [url]

May 13 14 11:46 PM

IndieWire: "Oscar-Winning Searching For Sugar Man Director Dead at 36"

The Academy Award-winning filmmaker of Searching For Sugar Man, Malik Bendjelloul, was found dead today in Stockholm, according to police reports. Bendjelloul, 36, won the Academy for Best Documentary last year for the film, about his search for the musician Sixto Diaz Rodriguez. Bendjelloul directed, produced, edited and co-wrote the film, which initially premiered at Sundance in 2012 where it won the Audience Award. The film, which was the director's first, also won awards for Best Documentary from the DGA, PGA, WGA, BAFTA, NBR and other festivals.

In his review of the film at Sundance, Eric Kohn wrote, "The director makes a convincing case for Rodriguez as a phantom rock star, no less valid in its iconoclastic value than Bob Dylan, but never validated by the marketplace."

Bendjelloul recently told The New York Times about how anonymous the musician was before the film first screened at Sundance. "Many people didn’t know when the film started who he was at all. They even thought that he was dead for the first half-hour. So seeing him in the flesh an hour later was powerful. That's what you can do with documentaries."

Police spokeswoman Pia Glenvik said the Swedish filmmaker died in Stockholm late Tuesday, but didn't specify the cause of death except to say there was no crime suspected, according to the Associated Press.

Quote    Reply   

#74 [url]

Oct 9 14 6:48 PM

There's some very sad news for comedy fans today, as Saturday Night Live and Designing Women vet Jan Hooks has reportedly passed away.

Hooks has allegedly been fighting a serious illness for some time and passed away at age 57 in New York City today, according to a TMZ report.

Born in 1957, Hooks grew up in Decatur, Georgia, before moving to L.A. where she joined the renowned improv comedy group The Groundlings. In the early '80s, she was drafted to join the cast of HBO's early comedy series Not Necessarily the News.

She was added to the 1986-'87 season of SNL along with fellow newcomers Dana Carvey and Phil Hartman. Hooks stayed with the show until 1991, where she built up an impressive repertoire of fictional characters such as Candy Sweeny (one half of the Sweeny Sisters along with Nora Dunn) and impressions of celebrities and political figures such as Tammy Faye Bakker, Sinead O'Connor, Nancy Reagan and Hilary Clinton.

After "SNL," Hooks joined the cast of CBS' long-running Designing Women and later had a recurring role on 3rd Rock from the Sun.

She also appeared in several movies, including brief roles in Tim Burton's Pee Wee's Big Adventure and Batman ReturnsHooks' voice may also sound familiar to fans of The Simpsons, on which she played Apu's wife, Manjula.

More recently, Hooks appeared in the fourth season of NBC's SNL-inspired 30 Rock as Verna Maroney, mother of Jenna Maroney (Jane Krakowski).

Quote    Reply   

#75 [url]

Nov 20 14 3:42 PM

Mike Nichols, who won the EGOT (4 Emmys, a Grammy, an Oscar and 9 Tonys), has died. The husband of ABC News anchor Diane Sawyer suffered a heart attack this morning. He was 83.

Nichols was born in Germany in 1931 and moved to the U.S. with his family at age seven. He pursued theater while attending the University of Chicago in the early 1950s. Although he was studying medicine, his true calling was comedy. He met Elaine May in Chicago and the pair formed a legendary comedy duo, winning a Grammy in 1962 for Best Comedy Album.

In 1964, he directed Barefoot In The Park on Broadway, and followed that up with The Odd Couple in 1965. His first film as director was Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? in 1966 which won five Oscars including Best Actress for Elizabeth Taylor. He followed that up the next year with The Graduate, putting Dustin Hoffman on the map and earning seven Oscar nominations. Nichols won his first Oscar for directing the film. In the early 70s, he helmed Carnal Knowledge and in the 80s made a string of now classic movies that includes Silkwood, Heartburn and Working Girl. He produced 1993′s Best Picture nominee The Remains Of The Day, and in 1996 transferred The Birdcage to film with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane starring. His 1998 Primary Colors opened the Cannes Film Festival that year.

His TV credits include exec producing classic 1970s drama series Family and directing and exec producing HBO drama Angels In America.

The list of actors with whom Nichols worked on stage and screen is a who’s who of Hollywood, past and present. They include (in no particular order) Julie Christie, Lillian Gish, George C Scott, Richard Dreyfuss, Morgan Freeman, Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Meryl Streep, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Nicholson, Emma Thompson, John Travolta, Kathy Bates, Natalie Portman, Christopher Walken, John Goodman, Kevin Kline, Harrison Ford, Julia Roberts, Ron Silver, Anne Bancroft, Candice Bergen, Gene Hackman, Robert Redford, Tom Hanks, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor.

Last Edited By: thezookieman Nov 20 14 3:52 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#76 [url]

Jul 27 16 10:02 PM

The Hollywood Reporter: "Marni Nixon, Famed 'Ghost Singer' in Classic Musicals, Dies at 86"

Marni Nixon, the soprano who stepped in to sing for Deborah Kerr in The King and I, for Natalie Wood in West Side Story and for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, has died. She was 86.

Nixon, a "ghost singer" who did not receive onscreen credit for her work on these legendary musicals, died Sunday of breast cancer in Manhattan, her friend told The New York Times.

It was Nixon who sang the wonderful standards "Getting to Know You" from The King and I (1956), "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story (1961) and "I Could Have Danced All Night" and "The Rain in Spain" from My Fair Lady (1964). The last two films won Academy Awards for best picture.

Kerr received an Oscar nomination for portraying Anna in The King and I. For her work on the film, Nixon received $420, she once recalled.

"You always had to sign a contract that nothing would be revealed," Nixon told ABC's Nightline in 2007. "Twentieth Century Fox … said, 'If anybody ever knows that you did any part of the dubbing for Deborah Kerr, we'll see to it that you don't work in town again.'"

"Ghost singing" was a common practice in Hollywood back in the day, with other stars like Rita Hayworth, Cyd Charisse, Ann Blyth and Christopher Plummer being dubbed.

Nixon also sang for Kerr in An Affair to Remember (1957), for Jeanne Crain in Cheaper by the Dozen (1950), for Ida Lupino in Jennifer (1953) and for Janet Leigh in Pepe (1960). Her lovely voice also is heard in Cinderella (1950), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) and Mulan (1998), where she sang as Grandma Fa.

Nixon actually appeared as herself in The Sound of Music (1965), playing a nun who sings "Maria." And on Seinfeld and The King of Queens, she performed "I Could Have Danced All Night" and "Getting to Know You," respectively.

In 2012, she was honored with a Peabody Award for outstanding contributions to American music...

During production of My Fair Lady, Hepburn picked her up in her limousine every morning and took her to the studio, she told People magazine last year.

"I sat in on her singing lessons, so I could hear not only the Cockney and the upper-class British, which are two different voices," she recalled. "But I also had to get her very unique speech patterns, so I had to listen very carefully so I could catch it."

Nixon appeared on Broadway in The Girl in Pink Tights in 1954, in James Joyce's The Dead in 2000, in Follies in 2001 and in Nine in 2003.

She hosted the kids TV show Boomerang for many years, and in 2006, her memoir, I Could Have Sung All Night, was published.

Her first husband was film composer Ernest Gold, who won an Oscar for Exodus (1960). A son from that marriage, Andrew Gold, wrote "Thank You for Being a Friend," the song that served as the theme for NBC's The Golden Girls. He died at age 59 in 2011.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help