Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 1 12 2:21 PM

Tags : :

Winners and Losers: Who ruled, who flopped?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

roclockck

Studio Mogul

#3 [url]

Jul 7 12 12:06 PM

Ted follows perfectly my ruled of thumb for Mark Wahlberg movies: when he's in the lead, it's a dud and he's dull in it; however, when he's supporting, ideally in a comedic "buddy" role, the movie not only works, but he's good in it. For anyone who hasn't seen it yet, here's the 'Red Band' trailer for Ted.

"No matter where you go...there you are."

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 9 12 6:57 PM

No matter how decent Amazing was, it was still a reboot of a well-liked franchise that ended five years ago. There's nothing in this new film that feels radically different than the previous Raimi films, so it feels like a part four more than a new beginning.

[b][i]It tastes like[/i] burning...![/b]

Quote    Reply   

carlo

Production Assistant

#6 [url]

Jul 10 12 12:32 PM

Spider-Man 3 was bad -- maybe they felt like they needed to restore order to a profitable franchise, I don't know. There was nothing wrong with the first two movies.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Jul 10 12 7:38 PM

I personally find Spider-Man 3 to be underrated. Overstuffed, uneven, yes, but there's a lot of good in that film that mindlessly frothing fanboys refuse to acknowledge. It brought the Raimi trilogy to a satisfying end in my mind, but even for those who did absolutely hate it, there's no real reason why the entire series had to be junked and re-started from scratch. Re-cast the leads, fine, get a new director, sure, but resetting at zero? It took the James Bond series nearly 45 years before they did that, so to do it five years after the last Raimi film came out seems absurd to me. And Amazing doesn't feel different enough -- either stylistically or thematically or narratively -- to justify a top-to-bottom reboot like this. Batman Begins was totally different from the previous Tim Burton (good) and Joel Schumacher (bad) films, and thus it felt more deserved. But when they reboot Batman again a few years from now following The Dark Knight Rises (probably as part of the Justice League movie Warner Bros. desperately wants to glom onto that Avengers moolah)...I dunno. I just wish they'd let these franchises lay where they fall for a certain number of years (decades, even) before trotting them out again. Wait for a truly "new" generation of fans, a truly new breakthrough in technology. The first Raimi Spider-Man holds up beautifully (a few dodgy areas of CGI body doubles excepted), so I can't imagine some 12 year old kid not wanting to watch it because it's "old".

Quote    Reply   

thief

Movie Star

#8 [url]

Jul 16 12 6:40 AM

I wouldn't call Spider-Man 3 good, but more of a disappointment. There was so much potential and it was squandered by stupid decisions like including Venom or Gwen Stacy, and I think that carried to the script, which was indeed weak. Meh.

Anyway, any predictions on The Dark Knight Rises opening BO? I'm saying $160-170M.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jul 16 12 7:31 AM

Dark Knight Rises will likely have a record-breaking opening...the anticipation for this film is through the roof. Now, whether or not the film can maintain huge numbers will depend entirely on if it can live up to those lofty expectations. Again, look at Spidey 3...just because it was not as great as the second film, fanboys turned on it viciously, despite the fact that it was still pretty good and satisfying. Of course, DKR lacks an iconic Batman villain like The Joker or the morbid curiosity surrounding Heath Ledger's final performance or being released at the beginning of the 2008 recession giving the film a dash of "real world" resonance (see also that year's Best Picture winner Slumdog Milionaire, a financial wish-fullfillment fantasy that hit at just the right time). Regardless, it's gonna crush all competition for weeks to come (and likely take a big bite out of Amazing Spider-Man's profits...the film is going to struggle to get over $300 million at this point).

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 22 12 12:12 PM

Well, events in Colorado obviously put a damper on the B.O. But I wonder if the reduced box office had less to with some people avoiding DKR per se and more to do with some moviegoers simply avoiding the cinema altogether because of the tragedy, fear of "copy-cats," etc. I mean, it's not as if DKR itself could somehow be held responsible for what the killer did inasmuch as his plan was hatched long before it even opened.

But word of mouth on this movie is too good for people not to attend. I'd be surprised if profits fall the usual 50% next weekend, although admittedly I'm horrible at predicting such things!

$162 million opening weekend in North America is the third highest according to the NY Times.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 5 13 2:18 AM

Not this week's box office, but a look back at some of Hollywood's biggest names -- and their biggest flops:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jordanzakarin/13-of-hollywoods-biggest-stars-and-their-biggest-box-office

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help